Black beans are full of protein and smoky flavor.
This easy vegan spicy black bean dish is delish solo and in Mexican classics.
Prep: 10 minutes (if you use canned beans)
Cook: 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes or fresh alternative. Tomatoes are the key ingredient. Do not decrease the amount.
- 1 or 2 🌶🌶 peppers with 1 tsp sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (such as from La Costeña). These peppers supply the heat. Try with one pepper first and upgrade if you dare (seriously though, they are pretty mild). Do not use the whole can!
- 2 15oz cans black beans without spices, drained (or start from dry - see you tomorrow!)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Heat the oil, onions, cumin, and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes
- While heating, purée tomatoes, peppers, and adobo sauce in a blender or food processor
- Add tomato purée, beans, pepper, and salt
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and mash all contents; for example, with a potato masher: